Search

03 November 2016

woman shoots cop


Fayetteville, KY. Earlier this morning, from on the steps of the county courthouse, the jury in the Groeneveld v. Brownfield County case announced a verdict. After just two days of deliberation, it found Ms. Heraldine K. Groeneveld, the accused, innocent of wrongdoing in the shooting death of Sergeant Dwight G. T. Blaiseworth of the Chaumsville police department. Ms. Groeneveld, an American Person of Recent African Descent, had admitted to firing on Sergeant Blaiseworth, who was working an undercover assignment at the time, when he had approached her with his firearm drawn, at night, without identifying himself as a police officer. The following is an excerpt from her sworn deposition: “I was trying to find a set of keys I had dropped when I saw a man get out of his car, pull out a pistol, and start running toward me. He was screaming at me to ‘Get the f**k away from the car,’ but never once did he say he was a cop. I’ve been carjacked before, so when I saw his weapon, I feared for my life. I then pulled out my own weapon and shot him before he could shoot me.” Numerous police shootings across the U.S. have led to the deaths of scores of unarmed men, women, and children; Ms. Groeneveld was vindicated in her assumption that all citizens - not just citizens working as police officers - are allowed to fire upon an assailant should they feel their lives are in danger. Speaking for the jury, Allysson Y. Humnerloess said, “We hope our verdict will serve as a reminder to all American citizens - police officers especially - that pulling a weapon is a threatening act, to which violence is an appropriate response.” Police unions across the nation have issued formal complaints, citing their supposed right to kill unarmed civilians should those citizens even look at an officer in any way that could possibly be viewed as threatening. Unlike officers involved in shootings, Ms. Groeneveld will not get a paid two-week vacation or psychological counselling; she is no longer in jail, however, and will be able to return to her family, and job.

© JPR / whorphan / americanifesto / 場黑麥

No comments: